Some stories to set the mouth foaming this morning!
Idiotic (fake) news story:
Trigger alert: “JESUS Christ was a victim of sexual abuse after he was stripped by Roman soldiers ahead of his crucifixion, a leading academic has claimed. Dr Katie Edwards, a lecturer at the University of Sheffield, claims Christ was “a victim of sexual violence” in an essay headed #HimToo.”
Students may like to consider:
- Is it comforting or alarming that our “academics” have this much time on their hands?
- What, if any, is the relevance of the fact that Jesus is a mythological figure?
Both irony and wishful thinking
“Nicola Sturgeon ‘powerless’ to stop extradition of Catalan minister Ponsati ; A European arrest warrant was issued for Clara Ponsati on Friday, she is currently working at St Andrew’s University.”
Student Remainers may like to consider:
- Is it comforting or alarming that academics can be plucked from our universities and returned to their home countries without due process under a European Arrest Warrant?
- Should Nicola Sturgeon be charged with rebellion and put against a wall with a blindfold and a last cigarette, even though she doesn’t smoke?
- Should Nicola Sturgeon be alarmed by the fact that Ponsati is only guilty of something that she herself would like to be doing (i.e. trying to free a small, vibrant and prosperous country from the shackles of a repressive, fascistic state)?
PS I was being ironic with that last point – what I should have said was: “trying to free a small, backward and welfare-dependant country from the munificent arms of a state that, for reasons no-one outside Scotland can understand, wants to keep it in a Union)?”